Coaching Background (level, year exp., etc.): 20+ years high school. Head Coach 15 years.
Training Level: High School
Wrestling Style: Collegiate
Session Goal: working initial leg defenses.
Approx. Warm-Up Time: 20 min
- 10 min Jogging
- Tumbling and dynamic warm ups
- 10 min position drilling. Stance motion w/ "Down Block" "sprawl" "circle" "shoot Partner 30 sec 2x Each: Mirror, Scarecrow, Cowboy Sprawl, Head Position, cowboy rides (top and bottom drill: bottom man moves top man follows w/ pressure). Solo Drills: X5 Each: Stand cut, Stand- cut- Shoot, Change over, Change over -Stand-cut-shoot, switch, switch to stand, Sit to shrug, Half switch to sit shrug
Approx. Technique/Drilling Time: 40 min
Technique/Drilling Design: 2 min per rotate 2 turns each: (HF= hand fight; DB=Down Block, HH = Hip heist) lower and upper are partner A/b in the chain drill
- Drilling 1. HF: Shot Re Shot (keep head position; absorb, circle, hard re shot)
- 2. HF: Shoot- DOWN BLOCK AND SPIN- TAKE HIPS OUT
- 3: HF: Shot -RE SHOT-DB and spin: HH (no score; just a flurry)
- 4: HF: Shot-DOWN BLOCK TO FRONT HEAD AND SCORE-
- 5: HF: Shot-RE SHOT (get in deep)- hip defense (whizzer, stuff head, gut wraps, or trick/funk)
- 6: Refs positon: Line up opposite side for top bottom: Changer Over to stand and cut shoot and takedown
- 7: Refs Pos: Cowboy Rides to legs in and turn (4 min) Technique: working through all these clips could take some time. Just depends on experience level of kids.
- 8: use Clip 1 and 2: Warm up w/ top man going side to side trying to slide in foot first leg and bottom man block w/ knees. Let this continue about 30 sec; blow the whistle and go to a foot instep block and clear. Combine clip 1 and 2.
- 9. Allow leg in and mule kick defense: Clip 3
- 10: Switching the leg Clip 4.
- 11. knee drop out of power half: Clip 5. It is good to drill this solo as well. We combine this w/ the swim/ tripod but add in the knee drop to tilt hips and slide out.
- 12. Clip six: granby out. We do a variation called free leg. Same motion but more force and the kick and hip heist is done when rolling across shoulders. Usually good for 5 points.
Clips Used in Session:
- Defending Legs Foot First Attack with Elbow
- Defending Legs Grab Instep
- Defending Legs Mule Kick
- Defending Legs Switch Out
- Defending Legs Tripod and Knee Drop Out of Power Half
- Defending Legs Granby Out of Cross Body
Approx. Live Wrestling: 30 min
Live Wrestling Design: Groups of 3 or four
- Situation: Head inside single on mat 20 sec
- Situation: Single up whizzer in 20 sec
- Situation: Front Head lock
- Situation: 2 on 1 top and bottom
- Situation: leg in: 1. bottom man in tripod 2. bottom man knees on mat 3. Same as 2 top man has power half 4. leg bottom man sat to hip 20 sec goes of top and bottom refs position
Approx. Conditioning Time: 5 min
Conditioning Design: spin drills. depending on how hard they wrestle.