First, how did you get to and overtime match? This will allow us to pick a course of action to win the bout.
Tight Match (the score between you and your opponent has been even from the start)
- If you scored a takedown during the bout you want to attempt to use the same shot to win in overtime. He did not stop it the first time and more than likely is now tired and will not stop it the second time.
- This shot now needs to be set-up with a minimum of 2-3 body and hand fakes to break down his reaction, or hit from the standing front headlock position when he brings his head up.
- Front headlock snap and spin should always be given priority in sudden death
- If you have battled back from being down 4 or more points your opponent is now exhausted and has let you back into the bout.
- Solid collar ties spending the first :30 sec of overtime only working to pull him to the mat and spin.
- If you have not succeeded in a spin at this point stay on the head and continually pull down look for sweep single to avoid him catching a front headlock and stalemating the position and running down the clock. Run the corner right away on the single.
- Important: do not rush the scoring action he is tired so :30 sec. of hand fighing and faking will soften him up. If you rush a sloppy shot it will be easy for him to capture the front headlock and stalemate.